BOTOX COSMETIC is a prescription medication that is injected into muscles and used to minimize the appearance of mild to moderate lines, wrinkles, and crow’s feet near the eyes and on the forehead. It is undertaken by a licensed medical doctor or a trained nurse injector as an in-office procedure.
- HOW DOES IT WORK? Botox targets the underlying cause of frown lines and crow’s feet, namely the repeated muscle contractions of frowning, squinting, laughing, and smiling over the years. Botox reduces the muscle activity, creating a visible smoothing of these lines but you should not lose the ability to show expression.
- DOES IT HURT? Some patients report that the injection of Botox feels like a pinch or a slight sting. Your injector may numb the area with ice or the use of a topical anesthetic to ease any discomfort.
- HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE? Often called a lunch hour procedure, it is a relatively quick, in-office procedure with little or no downtime.
- WHEN WILL IT TAKE EFFECT AND HOW LONG WILL IT LAST? Effects of Botox injections will appear within a few hours to a few days. Maximum benefit is usually reached within 1-2 weeks and will last for approximately 3-4 months. At the end of its efficacy, you will see a gradual fading of its effects.
- ARE THERE SIDE EFFECT AND CONTRAINDICATIONS? There are, but they are best discussed during the consultation process with your provider.
The Juvederm collection of fillers are injectable gels made from modified hyaluronic acid (HA). HA is a naturally occurring sugar found in the human body. Using a fine needle, the provider injects the smooth gels under the skin to lift and contour cheeks, smooth deeper wrinkles and lines around the nose and mouth, as well as plump lips.
- DOES IT HURT? Any discomfort from needle pricks is minimized through the use of a topical anesthetic.
- HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE? Again, this is an in-office, non-surgical treatment that takes as little time as lunch.
- WHEN WILL I SEE RESULTS? Results are instantaneous. Patients report continued satisfaction with cheeks up to two years, nasolabial folds and lines around the mouth up to one year, and the same for lips. Results will vary according to the individual.
- ARE THERE CONTRAINDICATIONS? There are safety considerations but these are best discussed with your provider during a pre-treatment consultation.